Leave Page Quickly

Action plan

Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabularies Inspection report - ‘Cleveland Police’s approach to tackling Domestic Abuse’. The response to the report and recommendations. Domestic Abuse Action Plan.

“Any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse (psychological, physical, sexual, financial or emotional) between adults, aged 16 and over, who are or have been intimate partners or family members, regardless of gender.”
Family members are defined as mother, father, son, daughter, brother, sister and grandparents, whether directly related, in-laws or step-family.

'Psychological abuse' could include abuse about gender, race, religion, age, humiliation, bullying or intimidation.

'Physical abuse' means ANY offences of violence, common assault, actual bodily harm, or wounding.
Over recent years there has been an increase in the number of recorded incidents of domestic violence. A survey by the Home Office indicated that of 224 female murder victims, 47% were killed by a partner or former partner.
Every three days a woman dies as a result of domestic violence.
Incidents of domestic violence are rarely isolated occurrences. They tend to increase in severity and extend beyond the partner to other members of the family, particularly children. Domestic abuse occurs across the whole social spectrum.

Cleveland Police has a zero tolerance to Domestic Abuse.

Cleveland Police is committed to providing a positive and effective response to reports of domestic violence.

All victims will receive the appropriate quality of service according to their individual needs. All allegations will be properly investigated and offenders held accountable through the criminal justice system, without exception.

If you are experiencing domestic abuse, or are worried about a friend or family member, you can contact your local Domestic Abuse Unit for help, advice and support.  (These numbers are not staffed 24 hours a day)

Remember if your call is of an urgent nature always ring 999 immediately.

Alternatively you could ring 101

Are you a child who is affected by domestic violence?

If you are a child or young person and you are worried that domestic abuse/ violence is occurring in your family there are many things you can do to get help. You can call Cleveland Police on the above numbers or 999 if it is happening now or Child line if you want to talk about the problem.

How can I get help?

Womans Aid


Freephone 24-hour domestic abuse helpline: 0808 2000 247

This national helpline is run by Women’s Aid and Refuge with a minicom service and language line facility.

How can I get help obtaining an Injunction?

The National Centre for Domestic Violence (NCDV) is a registered charity that is well established in the obtaining of emergency civil remedies for victims of Domestic Abuse.

They are able to offer this service at no charge to victims, as they utilise a network of solicitors and their agents across the Country.

This service is available immediately to all victims and allows them to start making decisions about their future increasing their safety and that of their families.