There are many forms of abuse. They may include one or more of the following:
- Physical Abuse for example, being hit, slapped or punched.
- Psychological or Emotional Abuse for example, intimidation, threats of harm or controlling behaviour.
- Sexual Abuse for example indecent exposure, rape, sexual harassment or sexual acts where an adult has not consented or was pressured into consenting.
- Financial or Material Abuse for example, misuse of someone’s money, possessions or property.
- Domestic Abuse can include some or all of the above and also includes so called honour based violence.
- Neglect for example, not providing necessary food, clothing, shelter or medical care.
- Self-Neglect for example, someone neglecting their own personal hygiene, health and surroundings.
- Discriminatory Abuse for example, harassment because of race, gender, age, disability, sexuality or religion.
- Modern Slavery for example, human trafficking, forced labour and domestic servitude.
- Organisational Abuse for example, neglect and poor practice within a setting such as a care home or hospital, or in relation to care provided at home.
You can report very serious abuse and neglect to Cleveland Police by calling 101 or 999 in an emergency.
If you are worried or want to talk to someone, contact your local Social Care Service:
Evenings and Weekends 08702 402 994
If you need any further information or advice you can also contact:
Business Unit Teeswide Safeguarding Adults Board: 01642 527263 [email protected]
Further support organisations for adults can be found on the Teeswide Safeguarding Adults Board web page.